Cookie Dough Protein Balls
Oh these little nuggets of goodness! I love a portable snack not only for myself but also for my kids. And with only 6 ingredients, these Cookie Dough Protein Balls are our absolute favorite flavor. Fair warning: These are highly addictive. If you’re the type of person who eats almond butter with a spoon straight from the jar then you’re going to love ’em! 😍
This recipe is fairly forgiving ingredient-wise. I’ve made these protein balls with Vanilla Shakeology, Tone It Up Plant-Based Protein Powder-Vanilla, and LifeTime Fitness Grass Fed Whey Protein Powder and all have worked well. I use a no-sugar-added almond butter because that’s what I usually stock in our pantry. (Whole Foods’ 365 Everyday Value brand, Trader Joe’s and Kirkland at Costco are all priced well too).
And now the best part: chocolate chips! When I’m feeling particularly virtuous I use Enjoy Life mini chocolate chips because they’re dairy-free and allergy-friendly. But I kinda feel like we burnt that bridge with the almonds and almond butter don’t you?… 😬 Basically use you favorite – allergy-free or Nestle; mini chips or regular chips. It’s all delicious!
The size of these is kind of a “choose your own adventure.” I like to make them relatively small so that I can have 2 (ok 3) and feel satisfied. If you make them on the smaller side like I do then you’ll have 22-24 protein balls to nibble on for the week. If you make them a bit bigger in more of a single serving size then you’ll have about 10-12 protein balls. Roll the balls in almond flour to keep them from sticking to each other. And refrigerate them on a plate before storing so that they don’t squish each other.
Come to think of it, I haven’t made these in awhile. I know a few kids who would get down on a batch so it looks like I have a little afternoon snack project. 😉
Cookie Dough Protein Balls
- Author: rock + paper + skillet
- Prep Time: 15 minutes
- Total Time: 45 minutes
- Yield: approximately 24 mini balls
- 1/2 cup almond butter, preferably no sugar-added
- 1/4 cup honey, preferably raw
- 3/4 cup finely chopped raw almonds
- 3 scoops vanilla protein powder
- 3 tablespoons mini chocolate chips
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- almond flour, for coating
- In a large bowl add all ingredients from almond butter through vanilla extract. Mix well with a sturdy spatula or wooden spoon until thoroughly combined. Mixture may look crumbly or dry in spots but it should stick together when pressed.
- In a medium bowl place several tablespoons of almond flour. Set aside.
- Using a tablespoon or a small scoop measure out a portion of the cookie dough mixture, pressing into the side of the bowl as you scoop so that the mixture sticks together. Release the ball into the palm of your hand and continue to squeeze as you roll it into a firm ball. Gently roll protein ball in bowl of almond flour to coat. Set on large plate or tray.
- Repeat until cookie dough mixture is gone. Refrigerate balls for 30 minutes before transferring to storage container.
- Store in the refrigerator for up to 4 weeks, if they last that long!
- Serving Size: 2-3 mini balls